Sunday, June 20, 2010

Kill Bill Vol. 1

Kill Bill was written and directed by Quentin Tarantino. Kill Bill has several similarities to other movies in which he has been a part of. Kill Bill has a pretty basic plot and that plot is to simply kill Bill. There are members of the deadly viper assassination squad that have to be dealt with before reaching Bill.

I have seen Kill Bill before but after reading through the chapter and watched the movie again I saw a completely different version. Kill Bill employes objective, subjective, indirect subjective, and directors interpretive view points. I would venture to say that the majority of movies and tv shows are shot with an objective viewpoint. Objective viewpoint gives the viewer a sideline look at the action. After reading the chapters Kill Bill struck me as a much different movie just for the fact of all the different camera viewpoints. Kill Bill uses a lot of subjective viewpoints. Subjective viewpoints put the sword in the viewers hands. Indirect-subjective viewpoints are also used often throughout the movie. Indirect-subjective viewpoints give a close up shot on the character so the viewer can feel what they character is feeling. Kill Bill has several indirect-subjective shots on the faces of those in fight scences. Kill Bill also applies the directors interpretive viewpoint, which is a camera angle that is unusual to make the viewer see the scene in a different and special way.

Kill Bill, to me, was a much better movie after learning about the different camera angles and why they are used. There are several shots throughout the movie where the camera zooms in on different character's faces, feet, or mouths. I would have to say two of the most interesting shots that I noticed were the shots from above the rooms. One of these shots came in Copperhead's home when Copperhead was going to get some coffee. The other shot came in the bathroom before the fight with O-Ren. I just think these kind of camera angles are so interesting because it is as if someone had taken the roof off the building. These are two very odd views that I don't think I have ever seen before, and if I have I do not remember it. There was also one other shot during a fight scene that I really found unique. The fight before getting to O-Ren when the camera gets the fight scene through the bottom of the stairs. That angle gave a feeling of being a fly in the corner or a person in hiding kind of feel to it.

Kill Bill also uses several different ways of focusing on the most significant object. The most prominent showing of this, to me, during Kill Bill was when the Hanzo sword was presented. The camera was very sharp on the sword and the background was blurry. That scene to me represented how powerful the Hanzo sword was because of the high focus on it.

Kill Bill really opened my eyes to a lot of different things that I did not know go into making a movie. I have never really thought of different angles and focusing on certain objects to get a point across. I know the next movie I watch I am going to pay much more attention to the camera angles that it represents. I feel like I got alot more from watching Kill Bill after reading through the chapters then I did when I had previously watched it.

No comments:

Post a Comment