Thursday, June 10, 2010

Reservoir Dogs

Reservoir Dogs was writen and directed by Quentin Tarantino. The movie depicts gangsters before and after but not during a diamond heist that went wrong. Reservoir Dogs has a common Tarantino vibe to it and has similarities to other movies Tarantino has produced. I liked the way the movie has the present scene and then at times flashes to the past to fill the viewer in on the background of the plot.

I thought that Reservoir Dogs showed a high level of complexity with human relationships. The gangsters who were involved in the diamond heist did not know anything about their counterparts other then the names given to them by Joe, the boss. I thought that Mr. White was a very compassionate man who really cared about the condition of Mr. Orange, who was shot and needed medical attention. I think that Mr. White's downfall was the fact that he was to caring and compassionate for his line of work. I think the opposite of Mr. White was Mr. Blonde. Mr. Blonde was a ruthless guy who tortured a policeman which he had caught and shot the diamond store up killing innocent people. Mr. Blonde was also a very trustworthy individual because he had the chance to rat out Joe and his son Eddie for a previous crime committed, but he kept his mouth shut and served jail time instead. I really like gangster/mafia movies for this reason. I find it intriguing the way they can be so loyal and be so close woven. Mr. Pink was the one who first thought that there was a rat in their presence. Mr. Pink to me was a very level headed smart guy, although he did not come off that way all the time. Mr. Pink was the one who acted the most professional and kept thinking instead of over reacting. I think this is why Mr. Pink was the only one to survive throughout the whole ordeal.

I am a huge fan of gangster/mafia movies but Reservoir Dogs was not that good of a movie to me. I thought that it was a little dry. I also thought that the plot and storyline was not that interesting. It began with them eating, showing them after the diamond heist went bad, flashbacks, and the ending when they all shot each other except for Mr. Pink. Reservoir Dogs never gave the viewer a feel of the gangsters being in the spotlight. Most movies about gangster/mafia make "The Life" to be prestigious. I feel that the prestige of the individuals playing the roles is what draws the viewer in. It as if Reservoir Dogs was not ment to do this for the gangster image. I personally think it made the gangsters look very sloppy and more like petty criminals. I do feel one lesson that Reservoir Dogs teaches society is that if you take part in illegal activities there is a good chance it will end bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment